Monday, August 18, 2008

Cribs Times Two..the cheap way

Well, as most of you know I LOVE craigslist! I was wanting to buy antique white (cream) distressed Jenny Lind cribs for the nursery. When I started researching these on the internet, the cheapest that I could find was $350 which would not be bad if I was only buying one crib! When you start thinking about everything in 2's then it quickly adds up. I refused to pay over $700 for beds that they will not use forever.
I found 2 oak stained cribs on craigslist from this really nice couple and they were selling them for $70 each. They were quickly SOLD when I saw the ad! The first thing that I had to do was to sand each of the cribs. I got kind of lazy on this step but had to do it so that the paint would adhere.
If any of you have ever painted spindles with a paint brush before then you know what a terrible job that is. I decided to buy a spray gun for $40 at Home Depot and this made all the difference.
The first thing that I did was to paint a base coat of white on them then I paint the final cream coat. (Yes, I am allowed to paint with latex paint according to my doctor)
Here I am with my mask on my head and covered in paint. The bad thing about spray guns is the major overspray so I suggest doing this type project outside.The last step was to lightly distress these cribs. If you are like my dad then you will probably question the sanity behind 'roughing up' a newly painted piece of furniture. I guess some people don't get the shabby chic look! Here is an up-close look of the finished product. I will post again once the cribs are completely assembled with the bedding. It is hard to tell what they will look like by these pictures but hopefully everyhting will turn out great!

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks good Keeley! You are so crafty!

Stacey said...

You did a good job! They are going to look great!

Michael and Hannah said...

Wow, the crib(s) look amazing! Decorating nurseries is so much fun! My kids' rooms are by far my favorite rooms in the house!

Mittig family said...

You really are so crafty! The cribs look great and I can't wait to see all the bedding and everything! You look so cute with that little belly!

andrea said...

Keeley...the cribs look very nice :) That's ironic that you got a paint sprayer this week, because I just got one to paint my kitchen cabinet doors, and I feel your pain with the painted feet...and legs...and clothes, but what a time saver :).

Great job!

Natalie Church said...

Yea...they are looking good. I can't wait to see the finished products...especially with the babies inside:)
Call me or text me if you still want to do lunch this week!

Amanda said...

I found your blog on Lauren's. Are you sure you're having twins? By the looks of that belly, I'm not so sure. You look unbelievable. And the cribs look awesome. I'm totally into the shabby chic look. Great job!

Max's Family said...

They look great! I'm very impressed and wish I was half as crafty as you. You look great, too, with that cute belly!

Natalie said...

That is awesome!! You need to come on over to the griffith household and work your magic with all your craft-i-ness!!
I can't wait to see them all finished!!

Missy said...

You need your own show:) I love the beds-- great find!! Leigh and I had a Jenny Lind crib when we were babies and now both of our girls used it:)
We saw your Dad at church wed.-- he said everything was good!!
You & the boys are in our prayers!!

Gavin's Mama said...

Love them!! Can't wait to see the bedding!